Saturday, September 29, 2018

Happy Fall!

Fall is here, and I  have to say that the majority of people I know love Fall more than any other season. If I am being honest, Fall doesn't necessarily mean cooler weather and changing colors in Houston, but that doesn't stop us from enjoying the season. All things pumpkin spice, fall decorations, and all the delicious food during this season are part of our every day too. It has been raining a lot during these past days and rainy weather is perfect for crafting and diying. I love going to the dollar stores and searching for inexpensive items that I can turn into beautiful decor for my house or for someone I love. Just by adding a little ribbon and some gold, you can turn anything into simple but yet adorable decor. I spotted these table placemats at the 99 Cents Only Store, and I immediately thought, "hmmm, lets add some ribbon to these and give them a little make over" and I just loved the way they turned out.





























Most of the materials I used for this project were used either at the 99 Cents Only Store or at the Dollar Tree. I found this beautiful burlap ribbon roll at the 99 Cents Only Store too. It had a lot of material for just .99 cents and I didn't even use it all.



The placemats are a little thin so I decided to attach a layer of shelf liner from the Dollar Tree so that they will stay in place. 

I just glued it to the back of the placemat with hot glue, and done! 


Moving on to the fun part, the ribbon!! this part was a little tedious and time consuming but well worth it because it really makes the placemats look like they were bought at one of those fancy home decor stores. 

I measured 2" strips and cut them carefully, following the texture line on the burlap. 


Each little strap measured about 17 inches long. I was able to obtain three from the with of the burlap ribbon, and used two for each placemat.   


Now, the time that took most time. The little folds. I made folds that measured about 2 cm.

                 

Continued folding adding one small dot of hot glue to the bottom of each little fold until I folded the whole strip. 



I know it might seem complicated in the beginning, but it looks absolutely beautiful and I didn't even need to saw or use a sawing machine. It really is a project that anyone can do! Once I finished folding and all the strips I glued them to the back of the placemat trying to attach them as straight as possible.





And just look how gorgeous they already look!! But I still wanted to add a little more fall glam, and I thought, "hmmm.... some gold would look perfect with this color combination!" I used a fall leaf shape that I cut using my Cricut machine and use it as a stencil.


Using a little bit of gold acrylic paint and a thin paint brush, I traced the shape of the leaf on the corner of the placemat. 



Very simple but darling!! 


I simply love making inexpensive things look beautiful! The placemats look super cute, I love the fall colors and the little touch of gold makes them stand out so much more. These type of projects are exactly the reason why I enjoy crafting so much. There is a special beauty in making things look adorned and fabulous. 



Happy Fall, everyone!! 








2 comments:

  1. Those placemats are so cute!! Love them! I might do something like this because i get bored of decor so quickly and at least this wont hurt my wallet! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vane! I am very sure you can make some super gorgeous place mats!

    ReplyDelete

WIKED, BEWARE, SPOOKY!!

My favorite holiday is here, I mean, Halloween pretty much begins as soon as summer is over am I rite? at least it does for me, and I kno...